Pages

Thursday, April 22

Are you PhotoReady?

Ever since Revlon PhotoReady Foundation came out several month's ago it hit the beauty blogosphere like crazy!  The foundation took a little bit longer to be launched here in little old NZ so am only finally catching up on the craze that has been surrounding this new foundation. I admit that I am normally a bit of a bore with my foundation. I found my holy grail foundation in MAC's Studio Fix and haven't really switched it up for years. 
I was always of the philosophy, if it works...why change it? However after reading SO many positive reviews on blogs & the idea of a perfect drug store foundation kind of  excited me...so I gave into the hype and headed for the Revlon counter! One of the assistants there colour matched me and suggested the 008 shade in golden beige.
It seemed a lot darker in the bottle than my (beloved) NC20 from MAC 
but it somehow still seemed to blend in well with my skin colour.

What does Revlon promise?
"Poreless, airbrushed skin in any light. 
Photochromatic pigments that bend and reflect light to erase every flaw. Complete, yet undetectable coverage. Soft luminous finish. 
Oil free, fragrance free and SPF 20."
So what do I think?
In terms of coverage and finish, Revlon's PhotoReady Foundation gives a medium coverage that is buildable. Personally don't think it will hide all your flaws but it will give you a nice medium coverage.  

The foundation comes with a great pump for practical and easy application. It  blends easily with fingertips or a stippling brush, which is my preferred way of applying liquid foundation for the most precise & smooth application.  

It gives a luminous, dewy finish but there is quite a bit of shimmer to the formula, which in the beginning made me a little anxious about looking too shimmery or "edward cullen like" as I already tend to wear quite a bit of shimmer on a daily basis from eyeshadows, blushes and highlighters. The shimmer in this foundation is supposed to make you look perfect in photo's but personally feel it doesn't make me that much more 'photo ready' than with my normal foundation...

Longevity? This was a real disappointment for me. What I love so much about my Studio Fix is that it lasts all day. Revlon PhotoReady however starts looking "blotchy" after a couple of hours on my skin with the need for me to re-apply or touch up more regularly with powder.

Overall? Hmmm am still a little undecided. I like how it feels light on my skin whilst still providing good medium coverage. I have gotten used to the shimmer and quite like it sometimes for a more luminous look. Plus it sells at a good price (about $25 cheaper than my MAC Studio Fix) for a quality product!
Final decision: I suppose I would say I really like it but I don't LURVE it. My HG will remain MAC Studio Fix. Would I re-purchase? Oh gosh, maybe! Indecisive much? haha :)

What are your thoughts on PhotoReady, would love to hear!

6 comments:

Irene Blushing Loves said...

My Mac color is NC20 too!!Thanks for the review!You didnt seem so excited about this!

Suzanne Scott said...

Hey Hun,
I need a new concealer and foundation! Can you come help me buy one. Ive been using Clinique products and I am bit over them now! make up shopping day...maybe even some eysshadows!
xox S

Anonymous said...

Great review - I'm currently trialing this one as well :) I agree that the longevity isn't great so I'm going to try using it with a primer

Nicole said...

I tried this and hated it. Stick with what you love!

Unknown said...

Lovelyviolet5: I am just undecided about this product. Liked it but didnt love it. I am very picky with foundation tho and just love my studio fix...boring I know! :)

Suz: Would love to go make up shopping, my fav past time. Name time and place!

Stephanie: Let me know how u get on with primer, would be interested to see if lasts longer!

Tiffany said...

I've been using this with my Hourglass primer and it works really well in helping it to last longer. My issue is more with the coverage actually (I wish it had more). Overall, I really like this foundation!