Pages

Saturday, March 6

Answers to your Q's $

Hi lovelies,
Here are (finally) the answers to your questions!

What is your favourite make up brand?
MAC for sure. I love the variety and quality of their products. I am always tempted to buy something new when I walk past their displays..I also really like NARS but it is rather expensive here in NZ so I tend to dream more about their products then actually owning a lot of it :( 

How often do you wash your hair? I know I shouldn't wash it every day, but I just can't get it the way I want if I don't. Any suggestions?
I usually tend to wash my hair every 3 days. Normally on Day 1 I wash it in the morning, blow dry it and then quickly throw my GHD's through it or leave it more naturally if I want some more volume.
On day 2 I always think my hair looks the best and I will go through it with my GHD's again in the morning. My hair is naturally already quite straight so I use my GHD's more to give my hair style and get rid of any kinks that ruined my hair while sleeping. On day 3 I tend to curl my hair (or wear it up) because it is starting to look a little "bleh" and I find my hair holds curls better when it's not super clean. Then the following day the routine starts again from the beginning ;) I don't think I could be bothered washing my hair every day because I always blow dry it dry and doing that every morning would mean getting up earlier and that's a no no for me haha. Invest in a GHD iron if you don't have one of those because I think they are amazing. I use mine to give my hair volume, to straighten it or to curl it. It's so versatile and makes my hair super soft. You can use the irons to guide your hair and style it the way you want. Hope this helps?

What do you do for a job?
I work as a Business Support Manager for a large NZ law firm. What that means is that I manage the support staff of the firm which includes Finance Department, Services, Reception, Catering & Word Processors etc. So my daily tasks are things like; management of staff, dealing with suppliers, administration, general organisation & dealing with finance and operational related queries. 
I have been in management since I was 20 years old & my career story is quite a long one haha but ideally one day I'd like to own my own business. Just haven't had the right idea or product come to mind.....One day! ;)

How long have you been interested in make up?
Growing up I was never really that much into makeup. Throughout high school I was very much a natural girl and hardly wore any make up. My love for makeup started when I got to my early 20's.
I started working in a more corporate environment, where we were required to take great pride in our appearance and we actually had to wear make up to work. In the last 2-3 years my love for makeup has grown immensely, I got really into watching tuturials on You Tube and started experimenting with looks.  For me now make up has become a hobby & passion and I am looking at doing a professional course to expand my skills sometime this year..I just LOVE makeup because it allows you change to your look every day and I feel it gives me more confidence. 

Why do you choose MAC over most other makeup brands? Anything in particular you like about MAC?
I choose MAC over most other brands because of the variety of products they offer and the quality of those products.  MAC has one of the largest selection of eyeshadows with a fantastic mix of very bright but also neutrals colours. The pigmentation of their shadows is just amazing. I think MAC stands out to me because they are constantly bringing out new collections and they are more bold with their looks then most other companies. Price wise I also think that for a high end product their prices are not as expensive as for example your NARS, YSL, Dior etc. I love those brands too but because they are more expensive I find myself more likely to purchase MAC on a regular basis.

 Can you recommend any other brands of really good nail polish? I really love O.P.I as well, but am wondering if you know of any other good brands with awesome colour range??
Some other great brands for nail polishes are Orly, Revlon, China Glaze, Essie, Barry M or Maybelline Express Finish. I also like Incoco Dry Nail Applications. I am planning on doing a review on their products soon.

I have fair skin (with freckles) Blue/grey eyes... with strawberry blonde hair... what is the best colour to wear - just as an everyday colour on my eyes?
I'd say stick with neutral shades of eye shadow to look casual yet polished. Light and mid-browns, champagnes & rich chocolates are best. For a more dramatic look use golden, plum or cranberry coloured shades.


I have quite small, slopey, almost almond shaped eyes. What is a good tip for making my eyes look bigger with makeup? and what colour eyeshadow suits green eyes??
Almond eyes is one of the most common eye shades. This eye shape is characterized by an upswept outer corner. Many women with this eye shape want to increase the depth and intensity of their eyes, so experiment with eyeliner as a bold sweep on the upper lid, neutral colors lining under the eye, and upper and lower liner in various shades. To help almond eyes appear larger, limit liner to the outer portion of the top lid. 
Example of how to apply makeup for almond eyes:
1. Apply light eyeshadow from lash to brow. Use neutral eyeshadow.
2. Apply medium-toned eyeshadow in the crease and blend up to the brow bone.
3. Apply dark eyeshadow of the same color on outer corner of the eyelid.
4. Use eyeliner on the upper lid to make almond eyes appear large.  To make almond eyes appear more round, stop liner before the outer corner of the eye, or use a lighter shade or  smokey or smudged look in that area.
5. Apply mascara on upper lashes with emphasis on outer corners.
Great eyeshadow colours for green eyes are purple (really makes them POP), shades of plum, mauve, pink, dark gray, charcoals, all shades of brown & black.

How do I get loads of volume and smooth through the top of my hair, but keeping it nice and straight through the bottom?


Create volume by blow drying your hair upside down and using a root lifting spray. This allows your roots to have more volume and lift (without teasing!) whilst still leaving the rest of your hair smooth and straight. I also use velcro rollers after blow drying my hair to create more volume and lift. An other great way to create volume is to use your flat irons/straighteners. I get the root of my hairs and use the iron to create a small curl or lift at the top. 

 I was wondering what your routine at the gym is, i.e. how long on cardio, and what exercises you've found most effective? Oh...AND..what do you wear to the gym??
When I was trying to lose weight I was going to the gym about 4-5x per week. I would do 45min to 1 hour on the cross trainer. I set myself a goal to burn at least 500 calories on the cross trainer and I would also do a weights routine twice a week. My weights routine was mainly for my upper body like my arms (triceps, biceps etc) and upper back. I also would do stretching and some abs and swiss ball exercises.
Now that I am no longer really  on a losing weight plan but want to make sure I maintain my weight I try to make sure I go to the gym 3x per week. I do about 30-40min on the cross trainer or treadmill and arm weights and exercises on the swiss ball. The one thing in addition to exercise that I found really helped me during my weightloss period was using Daily Burn (www.dailyburn.com) This free website allowed me to accurately monitor the food I was consuming to ensure I would remain within my set calorie level. Plus I also would record all the exercise done at the gym. It kept me super focussed & motivated! Some people loathe calorie counting but I didn't find it that tedious and actually enjoyed putting in my food as it would keep me encouraged to reach my goal.
Dress wise; I am pretty casual at the gym. I normally wear a pair of 3/4 sports leggings with sports bra and a simple racer back singlet. 

I hoped this helped everyone! :)

3 comments:

Holly said...

Fab love this post!so interesting!xx

Chloe said...

Awesome tips in there - thanks for sharing! NARS is incredibly expensive here! (I'm another Welly girl) however can be bought at US prices from http://kissandmakeupny.com/index.htmlwith set international shipping at US$8. Actually a small boutique that also does internet orders and where all my NARS comes from....

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tip Chloe!!