Ok I admit it, for the last few years I have been a foundation snob! A long long time ago I discovered MAC Studio Fix Fluid Foundation, fell in love and have never looked back since. I was so happy with the foundation that I never really tried anything else. The way I looked at it was; I had a wining formula and why change something that works right? I just couldn't get myself to buy a new foundation as an 'experiment' and then ending up with an expensive foundation I didn't like (and therefore didn't use & it being a waste of money) However during the last year while following many beauty blogs and reading so many reviews on other foundations, I was starting to get curious...
So, while I was packing for my 4 week camping trip through Europe with my parents I thought to myself, hmm, do I really want to use my (expensive) MAC foundation whilst on holiday? Maybe I should be adventurous and try a cheaper drugstore foundation instead....So I did! I went to local drugstore and bought 2x cheaper foundations that I had read a lot about and had been quite keen to try out. I got:
♥ Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation in Light Beige (#53)
♥ Revlon ColorStay Foundation in Sand Beige (180 - Normal/Dry Skin)
So how do they measure up?
♥ Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation
What it claims: "a perfectly glowing complexion and toned skin that lasts up to 16 hours". They mention special natural ingredients & "Fruit therapy". Apricot for radiance, melon for hydration, apple as antioxidant & ginger for energy"
My thoughts: The first thing I noticed about this foundation was the smell, quite nice & fruity! It applies easily and dries to a powdery soft matt finish.The coverage is medium to sheer. The healthy mix foundation lasts moderately well, but definitely doesn't live up to it's claims of 16hrs..
Pro's: Affordable (approx. €12 or £11), comes with a pump style bottle which makes it really easy to dispense the correct amount of product, gives medium to sheer coverage with nice semi matte finish & smells fruity.
Con's: Limited shade and colour collection (even though light beige does suit me but a little too "beige/yellowy" for my liking), not as long lasting as it promises, dries out after a few hours and needs re-application. The main con for me with this foundation is it's lack of SPF :(
♥ Revlon ColorStay Foundation (with SoftFlex & SPF15)
What it claims: "ColorStay makeup provides lightweight comfort, so you feel like you're not wearing make up, looks fresh for up to 16hrs, oil-free shine control, natural flawless look & transfer resistant"
My thoughts: I just love this foundation. The coverage of this liquid foundation is fantastic and leaves your skin feeling very smooth. Whilst providing heavy & full cover it never looks cakey and leaves you with a perfect flawless complexion! It also fully lives up to its claims...it lasts and lasts throughout the day!
Pro's: Relatively cheap (€16 or £12) in comparison to some high end foundations, the foundation comes in many colours & has different formulations for your skin type including combination/oily & normal/dry skin, it has SPF 15 and provides amazing coverage and is long lasting.
Con's: No pump (but then again my MAC studio Fix doesn't have that either...), the smell is a little like paint on application but fortunately that fades pretty quickly once applied, the foundation dries incredibly quickly which does means you have to apply the foundation to the face in sections (or work super speedy to achieve the best flawless results).
So overall thoughts? Well I am happy to announce (like post title suggest) I am a Foundation Snob, NO MORE!! The Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation is OK but probably won't repurchase because I don't love love it. Revlon ColorStay on the other hand, I will definitely repurchase! I use this foundation almost just as much now as my MAC Studio Fix Fluid and think this will save me a bit of dosh. Because compared to paying €27 or £22 for a new bottle of my favourite MAC Foundation, I think the Revlon ColorStay foundation is almost a perfect dupe/replacement but at a much lower cost! This means a shared Holy Grail Status for MAC Studio Fix & Revlon ColorStay :)
Ps: Also I have to admit now that I have dabbled with experimenting with foundations I'm secretly quite keen to try out some other foundations....like NARS sheer glow perhaps?! Hehe
So overall thoughts? Well I am happy to announce (like post title suggest) I am a Foundation Snob, NO MORE!! The Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation is OK but probably won't repurchase because I don't love love it. Revlon ColorStay on the other hand, I will definitely repurchase! I use this foundation almost just as much now as my MAC Studio Fix Fluid and think this will save me a bit of dosh. Because compared to paying €27 or £22 for a new bottle of my favourite MAC Foundation, I think the Revlon ColorStay foundation is almost a perfect dupe/replacement but at a much lower cost! This means a shared Holy Grail Status for MAC Studio Fix & Revlon ColorStay :)
Ps: Also I have to admit now that I have dabbled with experimenting with foundations I'm secretly quite keen to try out some other foundations....like NARS sheer glow perhaps?! Hehe

9 comments:
Fab post! I love love love healthy mix! I guess everyones different eh! But i also love love love colourstay! Using bourjois sleep effect one at the moment, but its quite oily so i dont recommend for long lasting! Im a big fan of drugstore foundation, have used a few MACs, but i just cant justify that price for something i use everyday! Id rather buy MAC eyeshadows cause they last a bit longer i guess :)
Are you trying any other drugstore foundations?
Lil xx
I was using NARS in Punjab (a holy grail product if there ever was one) for ages. But after reading several american blogs I decided to break down and try Revlon colourstay (about 4 months ago). And of course I love it,,,the price is right and the coverage is great. THough you are absolutely right, it dries SO Fast and you have to work quickly! Sometimes its hard to try something new when you think you've got the ideal product....live and learn!!!
@ LilyRibbons: I am keen to try some more drugstore foundations now I think, just not sure which one....will have to do some more research :)
@Nikosmommy: Yes I really want to try NARS sheer glow, just very pricey and wonder if the coverage is enough for me, I like full cover but would like more of a glowy look without cover being compromised. So you'd recommend it? Live & learning every day that's for sure :)
xoxo
Great post. I like to mix my Revlon Colorstay with a little touch of moisturiser, as it gives you more time to work with it. I also love mixing 1/2 colorstay & 1/2 moisturiser - it makes a perfect tinted moisturiser. x
@ tackyblueeyeshadow: oeh what a great tip, thanks!!
you have totally inspired me to try the Revlon one hun - so i went and brought it today (was actually in need of more, so thought i'd give it a go!!)
Must confess - a little bit sad you are now a 'dutch girl' instead of a 'dutch girl living in wellington' (profile part)
xx
@alana: aww I know, soon it will say a dutch girl living in London ;) you'll have to let me know how you get on with the Revlon foundation! xoxo
I love Revlon Colorstay! It's possibly the best drugstore foundation, in my opinion. And it's cheaper which means I can spend more money on clothes...hahaha :)
I have been an avid Revlon Colorstay fan for ever since I can remember! And like you I thought if it aint bad why change it!? But I have branched out a little trying Nars Sheer Glow (love it!), Estee Lauder double wear (love it too) and Clinique Anti-blemish foundation! Revlon is the only drugstore foundation I like though!
Post a Comment