Pages

Monday, February 8

The Colossal Volum' Express Mascara Review

There was a big sale recently at my local department store, so I of course couldn't resist checking out the goodies and hoping to find some nice bargains. There I spotted this Maybelline Mascara. I'd seen it in shops before but had never been tempted to buy it...but with the sale I thought "why not"!
I tend to use MAC Zoom Lash as my favourite (more expensive) mascara but for years have also used Maybelline Great Lash mascara as a great cheaper alternative. Because I have always been very happy with Great Lash by Maybelline I thought I should definitely give this one a go.
















The packaging promises that this mascara will give "9x the volume in one coat", but they don't say what the 9x refers to. 9x the volume of bare lashes? Or of other mascaras? They also claim that it will not cause clumps. According to the directions on the packaging, this mascaras is used by sweeping brush from root to tip, and not letting the mascara dry between coats. This mascara comes in two shades, Classic Black and Glam Black. (I chose Glam Black)


The brush is very BIG and soft. It's not a rubber brush (like so many are these days) and has two sections. One part is quite fat, with long bristles and then it has a tapered tip with short bristles. While I do like the tapered tip I'm not as crazy about the longer ones as I typically find it easier to work with shorter bristles.  In the beginning I felt a bit clumsy trying to apply my mascara with this "MegaBrush" because I kept smudging areas around my eye and the large brush made it hard to get it nice and close to my lash line. The mascara also has quite a strong (and weird) smell. I have never really noticed smells on mascara's before but with this one it's quite rose/chemically scented....strange....and kind of of-putting!

Volume powers? Good but nothing amazing - definitely not anything like 9x the volume!! I also have to use two coats of this mascara to feel like I am wearing proper mascara and once I apply the second coat I find it can start to look a bit clumpy (like spider eyes)...
However, the most disappointing thing about this mascara is how SUPER flakey it is!! By around midday I have black flakes all below my eyes and it feels like most of the mascara has disappeared off my lashes :(

Overall rating: Sorry Maybelline, I think the mascara is OK and provides thick lashes and reasonable volume but the flaking, smell and clumpyness means that I won't be re-purchasing this product again in the future and will stick to my Great Lash Mascara as my go-to drug store mascara.

Have any of you ever used this mascara?
Or do you have an other great drug store mascara that you swear by and would recommend?

4 comments:

streetlighteyes said...

Good review, I've been tempted to buy this mascara before (probably mostly due to the yellow packaging!) but I don't think I will. Especially due to flaking!

cx

Ebru said...

I tried this mascara before, Maybelline definitely knew what they were doing when they chose yellow as the tube color, definitely grabs a lot of attention, but I think more than it should. There is absolutely nothing so great about this mascara, and even though Maybelline IS a drugstore brand therefore not expensive, I still look at the money spent on this mascara as a waste. If you want an awesome drugstore mascara, definitely go for Lashblast by Covergirl, I used to use Hypnose by Lancome which is one of the best mascaras out there but then I heard about this one Youtube, saw the results of it with my own eyes and have been using it ever since, it's everything a mascara should be, lengthening, thickening AND volumizing, (AND it's cheap!) I love it!

Unknown said...

Thats for the tip Ebru - will be on the look out for lashblast by covergirl :)

Anonymous said...

bkfy iqgel Porn Video teifob k zr c osk